Pages

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Snow Day

When I was in elementary school, my friends and I had a little tradition. We would wear our pajamas inside out when we went to bed in hopes of a snow day. Now, I can't imagine how my backwards puppy pjs would have impacted a polar vortex.... but oh well, it was fun to pretend! As a child, one of the best feelings was seeing your school name scroll across the TV. YES- no school! A day full of Nickelodeon, sledding, and snacks. The best. And once you're in college, a snow day means a day full of Nickelodeon, sledding, day drinking, and snacks. (Hmm... funny how not much has changed...).

Now that I am doing graduate school in a Low Residency format, there are no such things as snow days. So sad. But this morning, I woke up to some very exciting news! I had a text from my supervisor at work saying that I didn't have to come in. AND- my internship site was closed as well because we got a whopping 13 inches of snow! So I had a full real snow day off from work and internship! I did a little happy dance in my slippers as I got up to have breakfast.

Eating my bagel and chocolate milk, I contemplated what I should do with my day. The possibilities were absolutely endless! Paint my room? Write a novel? Cross country ski? Hmmm... While I didn't end up doing anything crazy, it was a very productive day of homework and Say Yes to the Dress (with some Homeland in there too!).  My Wednesdays are usually 11 hour days consisting of work, internship, and lunch while I drive; so this was a great alternative. I really enjoyed having an unexpected day off.

I truly felt like a little kid again taking in the world around me. I even spent some time cleaning and sketching- 2 things that there is never enough time to do. Overall, my snow day really reminded me about self care. Working in the Mental Health field and always taking care of everyone else, I often forget about my self. Those exhausted, run down days tend to pile up... and that's not good for anyone! (Sorry for being so sassy J!) So thank you Snow Day! You helped remind me to take a little time for myself. A little time to relax, enjoy the day, and find my inner child!


xoxo
Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment